The Church in Stepps is more than a hundred years old, having celebrated its centenary in the year 2000. Stepps Parish Church is born out of union of St Andrew’s Parish Church and Whitehill Parish Church in 1983. We are the only Church of Scotland congregation serving the community of Stepps, Cardowan, Millerston, Crowwood and Frankfield. We enjoy fellowship and partnering in serving Jesus alongside our fellow Christians who worship in St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church in Cardowan and the United Free Church in Millerston.
In this present ministry we have met the challenges placed on us by the Glasgow Presbytery Plan. We embraced these challenges and, with God’s guidance, have transformed them into opportunities, discovering new ways to “Be Church”. The congregation was given a five year Reviewable Tenure. Our Take Stepps Mission Plan has served to enthuse and infuse our Christian Discipleship and enlivened our desire to bring the Good News of Jesus to those we serve.
The future of the church and how we change to be more fit for God’s Purpose is under a radical review. Much of this is yet uncertain. However we acknowledge that, post Covid 19 and in view of the ever quickening changes in society, radical change is vital in reshaping Jesus’ Mission and equipping His church for the years to come.
We know that God who has guided us in our partnership in Jesus' Ministry will show us new ways of service and new patterns of worship as we strive to serve in His Name.
Our beautiful little church was designed by one of the pre-eminent designers of Scottish religious buildings, Peter MacGregor Chalmers 1859 - 1922. His work can be seen across Scotland and in the islands off the West coast.
Peter MacGregor Chalmers was born in 1859, and on completion of his training he set up his own premises in Bath Street, Glasgow.
He designed the church to reflect the scale and simplicity of the village of Stepps. Built in the form of a cross from red Ballochmyle sandstone it was opened in 1900. It is very similar to some other churches designed by Chalmers and built in the same red sandstone, including St Margaret’s Polmadie (1900) and St Andrew’s Kirn (1910).
His work was obviously admired by those who worshipped near any of his new buildings, as there are outcrops of his churches in certain areas of Scotland, for example Cowal, the Clyde Coast, Edinburgh, Fife and the Inner Hebrides.
Chalmers’ work was not confined to designing new buildings. He was involved in important restoration work, notably the remodelling of Iona Abbey, the restoration of the Iona Nunnery and the restoration of Paisley Abbey. Sadly, he died of a heart attack at the age of 63 while working on this project, and it was completed by the architect Sir Peter Lorimer.
He is buried with his wife in Glasgow Necropolis, his grave marked by a very simple headstone, which seems a little inappropriate for a man whose work created some of the most beautiful religious buildings in Scotland.